News and Opinion Articles submitted by FAPA Leaders and Members
For the latest news as it breaks, in a sentence or two, check out our News Briefs page.
- FAFP Meeting May 2013 - President-Elect Dave Kotun reports on the Florida Academy of Family Physicians Meeting held May 10, 2013. The meeting was attended by both President Morales and President-Elect Kotun.
- PA Ad Submitted to PCMA Journal - (Nov. 2012) Take a look at the ad submitted by FAPA Public Relations Chair Jennifer Crews to the Pinellas County Medical Association (PCMA) Journal, highlighting the PA Profession in Florida as well as FAPA's commitment to the Physician/PA Team!
- NSU Orlando Physician Assistant Class of 2012 Receives 100% Pass Rate on Certification Exam - All 58 students of the Nova Southeastern University- Orlando (NSU-Orlando) graduating PA Class of 2012 passed their Physician Assistant National Certification Exam (PANCE)for the first time in program history!
- The CORE of the Affiliation - President-Elect Dave Kotun reports on his recent trip to Washington D.C. for the AAPA's annual CORE meeting!
- Five Reasons Physician Assistants Love Their Jobs - FAPA Past President Jack Foard, PA-C shares five reasons why PAs love their jobs, in celebration of PA Week 2012!
- FAPA Past President Ron Pace Published in JAAPA for Article on DOT Exams - Past President Ron Pace, our own "Mr. FAPA", was published in the September 2012 Edition of JAAPA. His article is entitled "Understanding DOT Examinations for Commercial Vehicle Drivers." Click here to read the PDF version of his article in its entirety.
- 2012 Legislation on Prescribing License Elimination EXPLAINED - President Ricardo Morales explains in this FAPAGram how the 2012 Legislation on the elimination of the PA prescribing license is now to be implemented for all PAs being licensed on or after July 1, 2012.
- 2012 House of Delegates Report - FAPA Delegate Eric Smith reports on the results of this past weekend's AAPA House of Delegates in Toronto.
- South University (Tampa) PA Student Society: Bowling for Hope - South University Tampa's PA Student Society held a fundraiser, called Bowling for Hope, for Moffitt Cancer Center in February. Read more here in this article provided by the Class of 2013 and their President, Caitlin Michalak.
- National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners – Final Rule Published by the FMCSA - On April 19, 2012 the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) published the Final Rule on establishment of the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME).
- REACH Fair 2012 - Spring break is a time to relax, catch up on sleep, and take a vacation; but for Shae Watkins, Beth Woodford, Brandon Nieves, Adele Rauen, Meghan Johnston, Jennifer Yoho, Beth Umansky, and Kirsten Reutebuch, Spring Break included reserving three days of valuable vacation to volunteer in the sugar cane fields of south Florida at the 2012 REACH Fair.
- NSU-Ft. Myers PA Student Rescues Drowning Child - 2nd Year PA Student turns hero, as Nicole Reynolds, from NSU-Ft. Myers, revives a drowning 6 year old boy while away on rotations in Clewiston, FL.
- 2012 FAPA Session Review - Pat, Juhan and Corinne Mixon, FAPA's lobbyist team, give their 2012 post-session legislative report.
- FAPA 2012 Winter Symposium and Recertification Review Highlights - FAPA's incoming President-Elect Dave Kotun shares his recap of the exciting 2012 FAPA Winter Symposium & Recertification Review in Lake Buena Vista, Florida!
- FAPA 2012 Election Results - The results of the 2012 FAPA Elections were revealed during the Board Meeting at the FAPA Winter Symposium & Recertification Review in Buena Vista Florida in early February.
- Offering An Umbrella of Hope - One of FAPA's own, PA Kaleena Francois, has been organizing a movement to help the LiLa Foundation, created to enhance and sustain the health and educational needs of rural Haitian communities, develop its medical arm through the help of PA students and Barry University. Read this latest update on her work with the Lila Foundation.
- Highlights from the 2011 FAPA Summer Symposium - The FAPA Summer Symposium was another grand success this year, as the event kicked off for 5 days in sunny Miami Beach, FL.
- **IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING 2011 FLORIDA LEGISLATION RELATING TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES AND PAIN MANAGEMENT - A number of legislative bills passed and were signed into law by the Governor during the 2011 Legislative Session that ALL physicians and physician assistants need to be aware of urgently...
- 2011 AAPA House of Delegates Report - From May 31-June 2, FAPA Delegates represented Florida PAs at the 2011 AAPA House of Delegates in Las Vegas, Nevada. Here is a brief report on some of the results of this year's meeting.
- Letter from Board of Medicine General Counsel regarding PA Controlled Substance Orders in Hospitals - On August 25, 2010, Florida Board of Medicine General Counsel and Senior Assistant Attorney General Ed Tellechea sent this letter to FAPA Counsel to re-affirm PA rights to order controlled substances in a hospital setting.
- Name Change Or Not - Active FAPA Member Jim Piotrowski chimes in on the "Physician Associate" name change debate with a different perspective.
- Historic FAPA Town Hall Meeting - FAPA held its 2010 Town Hall gathering at the FAPA Summer Symposium in Marco Island before a packed conference room of guests, and invited organized medical leaders to join the Panel for a historic meeting!
- 33rd Annual House of Delegates - The 2010 AAPA House of Delegates was a historic one, and Florida played a large part in much of the debate.
- Florida Has Strong Presence at 2010 AAPA Awards Ceremonies - Florida brings home AAPA Constituent of the Year Award while NSU SW PA Program gets recognized as well!
- FAPA Haiti Relief Updates - On Tuesday, January 12, 2010, a 7.0 catastrophic earthquake struck the small country of Haiti. In the days and weeks that followed, many relief groups came forward to offer help to those in need. Led by FAPA President Mike Funk and several Florida PAs, mainly in South Florida, efforts were made to help those in need in Haiti as well as educate FAPA members as to which relief groups were the most dependable. Documented here are updates from Mike Funk, consisting of mainly relief updates and correspondence directly from Florida Physician Assistants who were on the ground in Haiti helping with relief efforts, by PAs who were going to Haiti or by other PAs who have disaster relief experience. What was experienced by those that were in Haiti following the earthquake was unlike anything these folks had ever been a part of. Hopefully their experiences will help all of us grasp the gravity of this historic situation as well as help us recognize the heroism in some of our own PA colleagues
- FAFP Meeting 2010 - FAPA Leaders attend FAFP Board Meeting in Tampa Bay, FL in late April, 2010. Here how it all went here.
- Physician Associate vs Physician Assistant - Past President Ron Pace discusses the recent small group PA push for the name change of our profession from physician assistant to physician associate.
- Prescriptive Privileges Update - Past President Ron Pace gives us an update on prescriptive privileges, EMR's, and E-Prescribing.
- Can A PA Supervise An X-Ray Technician? - This article is about a recent issue of a PA supervising an x-ray technician in a clinic in the absence of a physician and how it was resolved favorably for PAs.
- Historic Board Meeting at 2010 FAPA Winter Symposium - For the first time in FAPA history, multiple leaders from the FMA, FOMA and FAFP address the FAPA Board of Directors in a historic, memorable event.
- “Hello, I am PA Doctor Smith” - NOT! - FAPA Leaders Ron Pace and Debi Gerbert address the law on identifying ourselves as providers and how that applies to doctorate physician assistants.
- One of FAPA's Own Publishes Book on Smoking Cessation -
FAPA member Brigitta Nuccio recently had her highly acclaimed book, Quit Smoking Success, published. If you are a smoker or a medical provider trying to help smokers, this book is definitely for you! Go here to read more about the book and to learn how to order. And CONGRATS TO BRIGITTA for her successful publication!
- West Central PAs Getting Political - Local Tampa Bay FAPA members come together in support of Florida Senate Candidate Jack Latvala.
- A Sad And Tragic Loss - Past President Ron Pace helps us remember fallen hero, physician assistant Cory Jenkins, killed in the line of duty while serving our country and our profession in Afghanistan.
- See One, Do One... TEACH One - President Marc McCollaum explains why becoming a clinical preceptor can not only be rewarding for the PA Profession in our state, but can also be rewarding for YOU, the preceptor.
- Current News Archives - Links to previously posted articles in the Current News section for your review.
FAPA THANKS THEIR CORPORATE PLATINUM MEMBERS FOR THEIR SUPPORT OF THE PA PROFESSION